We often get stuck where we are, because we’re stuck where we are.
There’s momentum – the force of all of the previous days we’ve lived travelling in the same direction, doing the things we’ve always done, and living the way we have always lived that build up behind us and around us driving us onward in the same direction. It’s almost like each day we live without intentionally doing something different, reinforces the previous day’s direction.
We forge the path we walk in one day at a time. The question that I need to be asking myself: Do I like where my feet are taking me each day? An even more powerful question: If I hit the fast-forward button on my life, will I like what I’ll be if I keep walking this path for the next five years? (Or more?)
I find those questions challenging, don’t you? Challenging, and maybe even painful when we discover that we’re on a trail that isn’t taking us where we want to be going.
- Pray about, think on, examine this: where are my feet taking me today?
- Work on the answer to this: If I keep going the way I’m going, will I like who I am becoming? Do I want to live as I am living right now in a year? Three years? Five years?
It sucks when you realize you’ve been moving in the wrong direction, but it sucks even more to do nothing about it after you realize you’re off course! Truth: if you don’t like where you’re going, it’s up to you to change.
3 Simple Ways To Create Change:
- Read. Books hold ideas and vision that will be new to your own. We need that! I need that! When we only are exposed to our own thoughts, our growth is stunted.
- Get a Change Buddy. (Or Be a Change Buddy.) Who in your life can join you on your quest for change? Your wife? Husband? Co-worker? Best friend? Get a group of safe, motivated, and loving people around you and let them know you want to build change into your life. Or, maybe you know someone who is already working to create a change of their own. Ask if you can join them. The point is this: two are better than one. Get a buddy! (Or buddies!)
- Act. Trajectory changes with one small step in a new direction. You don’t have to wait until you come up with a massive game changing plan to begin making your move for a new path. Start today with something small. Read instead of binge on Netflix, write out a side hustle business plan, or update your resume…but know this:
Change won’t happen unless we start doing something different! What will you do differently today?